What makes a bird fly? It’s the wings. But if one wing is broken, can a bird still fly?

I was having a rest, when my annoying elder sister rushed to the television and tuned on to MYX. I was not interested at all with modern music, magazines, make-ups and other teenager stuffs. I was the kind of kid who preferred to be in a silent place. When in a party, I was one of those who would just sit at the corner. I couldn’t bare the music of rock stars, pop artists especially boy bands. But because we shared the same room, I had no choice. I was on the verge of arguing when suddenly a wonderful melody captured me. When I opened my eyes to see who was singing, I could barely recognize the girl. But what I did know is she made me hum with the tune of her song, up until it ended.

As I imagine, five years ago, how I embarrassingly just shook my head every time my classmates talk about hit charts, latest songs, new artists and newly released music videos. I was pretending to understand what they were talking about. You see, I was certainly not a contemporary music lover. I did not know the members of Backstreet Boys. I did not know the latest trends. Because I just thought what the heck, these are nonsense. But when Breakaway played, my perception on modern music altered because the song spoke to me. It gave me courage to dream and to reach for it.

Admittedly, I grew up in a small city where no malls exist, where people know each other, where you can travel around through walking, where you can shop at small establishments, where there were no taxis, no traffic and less pollution. What a city! I often wonder how it became one. I had a simple life. It was good. But I longed for a better one. I want to widen my horizon and not just stick in the place where I am used to. It may seem selfish, but I do. Who wouldn’t right? When I see professionals with “Judge”, “Dr.”, “Sgt.” or “PHD” in their names, I envy them. I wish that someday they’ll read my name with “Atty.” in it.

. It may seem ironic how I’ve always envisioned myself reaching my goals. I’ve always seen these things will go perfectly. I dreamed for this time to come. And now that it’s becoming nearer, the harder it is to grasp.

Sometimes I doubt if I can ever do this. I see myself as a student. I see myself as a lawyer. But I also see myself in sleepless nights of reading piles of books, making long papers and reports, doing my thesis study and most especially defending my thesis in front of my professors. Just the thought of it, tires me already.

But as my mom keeps on telling me that “Nothing worth having ever comes easy.”

So, I’ll take the risk and make a change.

Like me, one may come from an unknown place. One may be very rich. And maybe one can’t even afford to have three meals a day. But these are not hindrances. Do not say that poverty will stop you in achieving your dreams. Remember that most known successful persons in the society started poor. Take for example, Henry Sy who was very poor in China but because he worked hard, he paved his way to success here in the Philippines. Even Carrie Underwood who was just a farm girl yet she pursued her dream to be a singer. She is now known to be one of the Best Artists in the US. But I’m not saying that the fortunate ones will less likely succeed. With their resources combined with determination, there is no way they’re going to fail. We are all in common because we all have dreams that we wish to reach. Just remember that the key ingredient is determination. If we don’t have that, surely we won’t succeed.

In following ones’ dream, it is inevitable to encounter confusion. Some may feel that they aren’t for the path they are taking. Some may feel they have found what their destined to do. Some tend to go with the flow and later know their abilities in the process. Do not be afraid of learning more. Never stop with “I Can’t!” Begin it with “I’ll try!”

When you feel like no one believes in you, you’re wrong. I do not want to offend any religion or belief. It is up to you if you’ll agree. But I stand on the thought that HE is there. Just pray to him. He will give you courage.

People may discriminate you. But don’t let them get your way. Remember that wise people care less about where you came from or what social status you belong. They only care on the ideas that you have. They care for what you can be. So flash that smile when you hear people laughing and gossiping about you. Let them be. They are the insecure ones. They laugh because you’re different. You laugh because they’re all the same. Just hold your head up and be confident.

Also be reminded to keep your feet on the ground. Do not be boastful. Do not forget the persons who helped you in your way up. Remember that on times of hardships, they were there. They were there for you expecting nothing in return. They are the ones whom you can trust. They are the ones who won’t leave you behind. Remember them.

So, are we all ready to dream? I am. “I’ll spread my wings and I’ll learn how to fly, I’ll do what it takes ‘til I touch the sky.” I may not have everything. But that is not a hindrance. I wish to soar high and fly despite the things I lack. I know I still can fly with broken wings.

Aim high. Fear nothing. Take the risk. Take your chance. Make a change.

Model: Irish Merza
Photographer: Jana Gonzalez


This entry was posted on 7:24 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: